The top identity theft resources from ScamBusters.org -- helping people protect themselves from identity theft and other Internet scams since 1994
Welcome to the ScamBusters.org
Identity Theft Information Center!
Since identity theft has been #1 on our Top 10 List of the Worst Internet Scams for the past several years, we created this Identity Theft Info Center to help you prevent identity theft, and to help people who are identity theft victims learn the best practices for recovering from identity theft.
Chilling Identity Theft Facts
Identity theft is the fastest growing crime, according to the Federal Trade Commission. Experts estimate that about 10 million people become victims each year. That means every minute, 19 people become new victims of identity fraud!
In fact, according to the US Department of Justice, drug trafficking is now being replaced by identity theft as the number one crime.
If you become a victim, it will probably take you hundreds of hours and an average of $1,000 to recover from ID theft. Even worse, some innocent victims have ended up in prison because identity thieves have committed crimes in their names.
That's why identity theft prevention is so important; we want to help you protect yourself from this nightmare.
However, if you have had the misfortune of becoming an identity theft victim, we have some excellent resources to help you recover.
ScamBusters.org Ten Most Popular Identity Theft Resources
Here is a list of our most popular identity theft articles to help you prevent and recover from identity theft:
- Understanding and Avoiding Identity Theft: A simple introduction to identity theft prevention.
- Surprising Facts About Identity Theft: Little-known identity theft facts everyone really should know.
- Credit Card Fraud: 21 tips to help you protect yourself from being a victim of credit card fraud and identity theft.
- What to Do if Your Credit Card or Wallet is Stolen: 5 simple steps to take when your credit card or wallet is stolen to avoid becoming an identity theft victim.
- Avoiding ID Theft (Identity Theft) at Work: 10 useful tips to help you avoid ID theft at work.
- MasterCard and Other Security Alerts: 7 specific things you can -- and should -- do to protect yourself from MasterCard and other credit card fraud and identity theft.
- Startling Facts About Identity Theft: Important things you probably don't know about identity theft when it's not for profit but just to get a job.
- The Jury Duty Scam: Why the jury duty scam is a dangerous -- and extremely effective -- identity theft scam almost no one knows about.
- Phishing Scams - How You Can Protect Yourself: Phishing scams are one major way identity thieves steal your personal information.
- NEW: The College Student's Guide to Identity Theft: What every college student must know about identity theft. Most college students (and their parents) have no idea what a huge problem
identity theft is for college students. Check out this "must read" guide (and send the link to the college students in your life).
More Identity Theft Resources
- Protecting Your Online Brokerage Accounts and Bank Accounts: 12 common mistakes that put your online brokerage accounts and bank accounts at risk -- and how to avoid them.
- Is Your Bank Account Safe? Online and offline strategies to keep the money in your bank account safe.
- What's New With Identity Theft? Pretexting and New ID Theft Standards: Pretexting is an important source of information identity thieves can use to steal your personal information.
- Did You Get a New Computer? 8 steps to staying safe when you connect your new computer to the Internet.
- Vishing - The Newest Security Threat: Vishing scams (phishing done over the telephone) are an important new identity theft threat.
- Identity Fraud Tops FTC Annual List of Consumer Fraud Problems: Tips to help you protect yourself from identity fraud and the other big consumer scams.
- Overpayment Scams: New deceptive twists to overpayment scams can lead to identity theft and serious financial loss.
- Teach Your Children To Recognize and Avoid Internet Scams: Tips to help protect your children and your family from Internet scams and identity theft.
- Adding a Credit Report Fraud Alert: An unanticipated downside of adding a fraud alert to your credit report.
- Can You Really Get a Free Credit Report -- Without Getting Scammed? 4 tips to make sure that getting your free credit report doesn't lead to identity theft or unexpected credit card charges.
- How to Find Out if Your Social Security Number Has Been Stolen: Can you use this simple approach to find out if your Social Security number has been stolen?
- The Truth About Keylogger Programs: Keylogger programs are another method identity thieves frequently use to steal your personal information.
- Phony Tax Form Scams: Three tax form scams you should know about that can lead to identity theft and empty bank accounts.
- Are Ecards Safe? Tips to avoid identity theft and viruses from ecards you receive.
- Identity Theft by State: US state-level identity theft information, websites and resources.